White Sport Coat and Pink Car Nation


"I showed up at my date's house on prom night in 1960 driving a 1950 Ford that cost $200. The heater in my Ford was broken, but secretly I thought htis mechanical problem was a bonus -- my date would have to get close and cuddly to stay warm! The girl's father saw the vehicle I drove up in and said to me, 'You don't want to drive that old car. Why don't you take mine?' (I had a reputation as a nondrinker so I was actually pretty popular with the parents, which is how I was able to drive up to the prom in a brand-new 1960 Chevy.)....It was a simpler time back (then). We wore suits and ties but didn't have to rent tuxes. The biggest expense for the evening was buying a corsage for our date." -- Dr. Kevin Leman, author, Adolescence Isn't Terminal, It just feels like it.

Click on comments if you have any prom memories to share.

No comments: